It's Treat Tuesday! Make sure to visit Daydream Reader's blog for more great treats and books!
Today's Treat: Chocolate-Banana Refrigerator "Cake"
The Boys and I are taking Treat Tuesday and putting our own spin on it. In the traditional sense of Treat Tuesday, cooking is not typically involved. The Boys and I love to cook, though, so we will be making our treats together this summer. I figure that the time spent cooking could lead to some great book conversations. Here's how today's recipe went (from the back of the Nabisco Honey Maid Grahams box):
Ingredients: 1 pkg. vanilla instant pudding mix, 1pkg. chocolate instant pudding mix, 3 cups cold milk (divided), 2 cups thawed frozen whipped topping (divided), 18 Honey Maid Honey Grahams, broken in half, 1 banana (cut into slices)
- Line a 13x9 inch pan with foil. Beat vanilla pudding mix and 1 1/2 cups milk with whisk for 2 minutes. C.J.: Can I use the electric mixer? Mom: Sure. C.J.: This is awesome! Mom: Ack! Keep it inside the bowl.
- Stir in 1 cup whipped topping. Mom: Ack! The Cool Whip is still frozen. C.J.: It's ok. Just smash it up.
- Repeat in separate bowl with chocolate pudding mix, remaining milk and remaining (frozen solid) whipped topping.
- Break 1 graham square in half; coarsely crush 7 of the remaining graham squares. Mom: Huh? That doesn't make sense. C.J.: Can I smash them? Mom: Sure. C.J.: This is awesome! (Smashes an unknown number of grahams with meat mallet.)
- Arrange 14 graham squares and 1 graham rectangle on bottom of prepared pan. Mom: Huh? C.J.: Just stick them on the bottom so they fit. Mom: Whoops, I broke one. C.J.: I'll eat it.
- Cover with vanilla pudding, remaining graham pieces, and chocolate pudding.
- Refrigerate 4 hours. C.J.: Or maybe 3... or 2?
C.J.: Um... I don't know.
Mom: Well, how about the book you're reading now- Nerd Camp takes place during the summer, right?
C.J.: Yes it does.
Mom: The book I'm reading takes place during the summer, too.
C.J.: Cool! Call me when the dessert's ready!
And with that, we stuck the refrigerator cake in the fridge. We think it will be tasty.
Here is the trailer for my current summer read.
The Moon and More by Sarah Dessen
What is your favorite summer book?