Monday, May 6, 2013

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? 5/6/13




Today the Boys and I are linking up to a meme hosted by Shelia at Book Journey as well as Jen and Kellee at Teach Mentor Texts.  It's called: It's Monday!  What Are You Reading?  Check out both of their blogs for many, many, more wonderful book recommendations and links to others who are doing the same.


Here is our rating system as penned by P.J.:  
  • For every "rock" it means something different, like 1 rock is not very good, 2 rocks is OK, 3 rocks is good, 4 rocks is great, and 5 rocks is amazing! Well now that I got you up to speed, let's get into these book reviews.








Hey this is C.J. I HAVE A FLYING TRAIN! And this... is book report time.

Author:  The Harvard Lampoon

Goodreads summary:  WINNING MEANS WEALTH, FAME, AND A LIFE OF THERAPY LOSING MEANS DEATH, BUT ALSO FAME! THIS IS THE HUNGER PAINS When Kantkiss Neverclean replaces her sister as a contestant on the Hunger Games—the second-highest-rated reality TV show in Peaceland, behind Extreme Home Makeover—she has no idea what to expect. Having lived her entire life in the telemarketing district’s worst neighborhood, the Crack, Kantkiss feels unprepared to fight to the death while simultaneously winking and looking adorable for the cameras. But when her survival rests on choosing between the dreamy hunk from home, Carol Handsomestein, or the doughy klutz, Pita Malarkey, Kantkiss discovers that the toughest conflicts may not be found on the battlefield but in her own heart . . . which is unfortunately on a battlefield.

What I think:  I remember seeing my friend Matt reading this book. Hes the one who let me borrow this amazing book. I read all of the real Hunger Games series books before, and I thought this book would be a funny version of it.  Katniss Everdeen is Kantkiss Neverclean in this spoof. When she gets volunteered to enter the Hunger Games she has to fight her way to survive in this battlefield. The games are starting, will Kantkiss go for the cornucrapia? Or run away? You find out by reading this book.

Recommended for:ages 12-16, if you liked the Hunger Games and funny books, too.

Rock rating: 5/5 - Amazing!


What I am reading now (two books by James Patterson!):

Middle School: Get Me Out of Here!  by James Patterson.


and

 Saving the World and Other Extreme Sports by James Patterson.


P.J. is reading:


and


Class A (Cherub #2) by Robert Muchamore

Mom has read:

A Tale Dark and Grimm by Adam Gidwitz
(click link above to read my review on Goodreads- this one is not for those with weak stomachs...)


Pathways to the Common Core: Accelerating Achievement by Calkins, Ehrenworth, and Lehman
(click link above to read my review on Goodreads- a must read for all educators)

Mom is now reading:


Cinder by Marissa Meyer

I must be on a fairy-tale-ish kick...  This one is good so far.  It's like a science-fiction adaptation of Cinderella.  She's a cyborg who works as a mechanic.  She still has too much work to do to go to the ball, though...

What are You reading?  


8 comments:

  1. I loved Cinder so much and thought Scarlet was even better (did not think it possible, but true!)I hope you enjoy it! http://wp.me/pzUn5-1vM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm loving Cinder and I have Scarlet on my TBR list!

      Delete
  2. I have Cinder in my ENORMOUS pile.. maybe this summer?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't like looking at my pile anymore... too overwhelming!
      I think you would like Cinder very much. I would definitely put it towards the top. :)

      Delete
  3. I've seen Common Core books on several reading lists recently. I live in Texas which is one of the few non-CC states. I'm terribly curious about CC. I'm off to find out more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are pros and cons to it, but Pathways definitely takes a positive approach and really explains the philosophy and application to real classroom ELA instruction. It is well done.

      Delete
  4. Oh, wow, you've all been reading so much! The Hunger Games parody sounds very funny.

    I've heard great things about Cinder but haven't read it myself yet.

    Enjoy your books this week -

    Sue

    Great Books for Kids and Teens

    Book By Book

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we are on a roll! I should stop and do a check-in book count for all of us. The Hunger Pains was a quick read for C.J. He finished it in a couple of days, and he was chuckling the whole way through. :)

      Delete

The Boys LOVE to receive positive words of encouragement as well as book recommendations from you! Please take a minute to leave a happy comment. Registering through OpenID is quick and easy~ we can't wait to hear what you think!