Monday, February 4, 2013

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? 2/4/13




Today the Boys and I are linking up to a meme hosted by Shelia at Book Journey as well as Jen and Kellee at Teach Mentor Texts.  It's called: It's Monday!  What Are You Reading?  Check out both of their blogs for many, many, more wonderful book recommendations and links to others who are doing the same.


Here is our rating system as penned by P.J.:  
  • For every "rock" it means something different, like 1 rock is not very good, 2 rocks is OK, 3 rocks is good, 4 rocks is great, and 5 rocks is amazing! Well now that I got you up to speed, let's get into these book reviews.









P.J. is on Fire!  He finished this one in 3 days!!  Whoo hoo!!

Title: The Cloak Society
Author: Jeramey Kraatz
Goodreads summary:  The Cloak Society: An elite organization of supervillains graced with extraordinary powers.

Ten years ago they were defeated by the Rangers of Justice and vanished without a trace. But the villains of Cloak have been biding their time, waiting for the perfect moment to resurface. And twelve-year-old Alex Knight wants to be one of them.

Alex is already a junior member, and his entire universe is Cloak's underground headquarters, hidden beneath an abandoned drive-in theater in Sterling City, Texas. While other kids his age are studying math and history, Alex is mastering his telekinetic powers and learning how to break into bank vaults. His only dream is to follow in his parents' footsteps as one of the most feared supervillains in the world. Cloak is everything he believes in.

But on the day of his debut mission, Alex does the unthinkable: he saves the life of a young Ranger named Kirbie. Even worse . . . she becomes his friend. And the more time he spends with her, the more Alex wonders about the world outside of Cloak--and what, exactly, he's been fighting for.


What I think: I like the way the author used the drama of the story and it gradually built up and had the big release at the end. I also like how the book is shown from the villans side, and how all of the powers are not super cheesy.  

Recommended for: ages 10-14 that like action books.

Rock Rating:  5 out of 5 rocks!

What I am reading now:  




Hey this is C.J.  I am a third child, and this... is book report time. 
I rate it 4/5 rocks.
Now I am starting to read the Shadow Children series by Margaret Peterson Haddix. Among the Hidden is about a boy named Luke who needs to be hidden in his attic, because a law was passed by the government that limits the amount of kids allowed.  The limit is two, and Luke is a third. When a neighborhood is built right next to his farm, Luke studies them and finds that he might not be the only third child.  I have already finished the first book of this series, and now I'm reading the next one: Among the Imposters.

Mom's update:
This week I read: 

This is an adult novel with YA appeal.  It is written as a collection of letters, e-mails, and narrative from the perspective of Bee, a 15 year old only child of a Microsoft genius work-a-holic father and reclusive Bernadette Fox.  This smart, witty, fast-paced novel gripped me from the first page, and it kept me guessing up to the very end.  Highly recommend!

What I am reading now:

Yep, still plugging away!


What are you reading?  

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad P.J. liked The Cloak Society. I think my son would have enjoyed it when he was younger.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will definitely check out The Cloak Society for my ten year old.. (maybe he knows about it already:))
    all the books here sound interesting..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great selections! My son loved Cloak Society. I didn't realize Lish McBride had gotten a Morris nod. She totally deserves it. I love her style.

    I'll have my boys come back and comment too :)

    ReplyDelete

The Boys LOVE to receive positive words of encouragement as well as book recommendations from you! Please take a minute to leave a happy comment. Registering through OpenID is quick and easy~ we can't wait to hear what you think!