Monday, January 7, 2013

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? 1/7/13



Today the Boys and I are linking up to a meme hosted by Shelia at Book Journey as well as Jen and Kellee at Teach Mentor Texts.  It's called: It's Monday!  What Are You Reading?  Check out both of their blogs for many, many, more wonderful book recommendations and links to others who are doing the same!

It's a brand new year, and the Boys and I have set our 2013 reading goals.  The Boys have set some lofty ones, 30 and 40 books respectively, and to achieve this feat, they will need to keep up a good pace.  So far, however, Mom is wondering if the Boys really realize what they have set out to achieve.  We did the math this weekend- and Mom is not by any means a mathematician- but Mom-math says that they will need to complete a book approximately every week and a half to two weeks in order to reach their goal.  Mom will need to read about two books per week.   

Outrageous?  No, but we will definitely need to focus more on Hobbits 


and less on Enderman.  

Makes sense, right?  

Mom also decided to get more serious about tracking books and reminded the boys of our Biblionasium account.  We will log all of our reading electronically on this platform, similar to Goodreads, but for kids.  This fantastic kid-friendly site is where Moms and Dads and Teachers and Kids can set reading challenges, recommend books, and keep track of reading.  I blogged about Biblionasium this summer (click here to learn more.)   Stay tuned for our weekly reading updates!


Rock on!
Here is our rating system, penned by P.J.:  
  • For every "rock" it means something different, like 1 rock is not very good, 2 rocks is OK, 3 rocks is good, 4 rocks is great, and 5 rocks is amazing! Well now that I got you up to speed, let's get into these book reviews.









Hey this is P.J. and this is my reading update. I have to admit I have not been reading as much as I would like to but I do plan to go crazy on reading for the next few weeks. I am going to finish Insignia and I was wondering what to read next, so if you have any suggestions please leave a comment. This has been P.J. and that was my reading update.







Hey this is C.J. The Hobbits, the Hobbits, the Hobbits, the Hobbits, to isengard! to isengard! and this... is book report time.
Last blog I was telling you great viewers that I had a surprise coming up, and here it is! Drumroll please (Insert drum roll) The HOBBIT! I am halfway through it, and it is amazetacular! So far the dwarves, Bilbo, and Gandalf have been trapped in a dark cave with orcs! While in this hazardous place, Bilbo gets thrown off a bridge into and even darker cave! Where he was playing a game of riddles to save his life (if that makes sense) against Gollum/Smeagul. While playing this game, Bilbo found a ring that will turn you invisible! once Gollum found out, he was going to kill Bilbo to get it back! But Bilbo got out of the cave and met back up with the dwarves and continued the adventure. 
Also when I finished Harry Potter it was Jan.1st so that counts as my first book for my goal (40)!

Mom read lots over the holiday break.  Yay!  Here are the books I read since our last update:






This one is the only one to count towards 2013, though. 


Here is what I am currently reading:



What is on your TBR pile this week?

Happy Reading!





4 comments:

  1. Great reading all! I have never read the Hobbit, but I am going to see the movie tomorrow. I know some of the boys in my class were going to it over the summer break. ( I live in New Zealand.) I am hoping I survive it and it won't be too long for me.
    I must read The Fault is in Our Stars this year, it is such a so often mentioned book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Boys and I saw the Hobbit movie on Sunday, and it was absolutely fantastic. It is intense and violent in parts, but the overall picture was very well done and true to the story. I left the theater amazed that so much time passed, and feeling like I wanted more. We can't wait for part 2!
      The Fault in Our Stars is a beautiful book -very raw and real. Be prepared with tissues, though. :)
      Thanks for taking the time to stop by!
      Mom and the Boys

      Delete
  2. want to read the Hobbit and Fault in Our Stars too:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so many good books out there! We highly recommend both! Enjoy. :)

      Delete

The Boys LOVE to receive positive words of encouragement as well as book recommendations from you! Please take a minute to leave a happy comment. Registering through OpenID is quick and easy~ we can't wait to hear what you think!