Monday, January 21, 2013

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? 1/21/13




Today the Boys and I are linking up to a meme hosted by Shelia at Book Journey as well as Jen and Kellee at Teach Mentor Texts.  It's called: It's Monday!  What Are You Reading?  Check out both of their blogs for many, many, more wonderful book recommendations and links to others who are doing the same!


Hey this is C.J.  I just got glasses and this... is book report time.

      Do you have anything in your life that you could never part with or go somewhere without, like a necklace, a ring, or even a handkerchief?  If yes, then you must feel the same way Bilbo feels about his ring. Right now I have started reading J.R.R.'s book The Fellowship of the Ring. As you may guess, I am reading the whole Lord of the Rings series, because before this I was reading The Hobbit.  Now, back to the book.  Bilbo is at his 111th birthday party, but he feels he needs a holiday to the Elvish kingdom, Ravendell- a holiday that shall never end. So at his party, Bilbo gets up and tells Hobbiton of where he is going.  At the end of this, he slips on his ring that turns him invisible! (He stole it from Gollum, a thing that lives in a cave, demented by the ring.)  So now Bilbo is back at his home, leaving the ring in an envelope for his adopted son, Frodo Baggins. So Bilbo feels he cannot leave it, for it is his PrEcIoUs.  Now Gandalf is trying to persuade him to leave it so he doesn't get corrupted any more (like Gollum.)
C.J. out <(-_-)>(TM)


Hey this is P.J. and this is my reading update!

I am reading The Recruit by Robert Muchamore.  James is a troubled child who has family issues, and right now his mom just died and he got sent off to a home for orphans and he is already in trouble.  I think he is going to have great adventures once he gets recruited into Cherub. I am looking forward to reading more and I hope to see you next time.







Mom is starting to feel like a broken record.  I am still trudging my way through Code Name Verity.  I thought the pace was picking up, but still I feel like I am waiting...  I'm now a third of the way through, and while some pieces are coming together, it is feeling more like work than pleasure reading for me.  Yet, I am still compelled to continue.  I had addressed the topic of abandoning books with the boys this summer, but I can't bring myself to put this one aside.  Why?  I'm not sure. So many have told me to keep going, so I will.  Many fellow Nerdy Book Club members that I follow on Twitter have spoken about "Reading Gaps" and have challenged themselves to read books that they may not have otherwise chosen.  I typically adore historical fiction, but I do not typically read war books.  Perhaps Verity is my book gap challenge...


I am also halfway through Pathways, and I'm looking forward to our upcoming book study meeting next week to discuss Non-Fiction.  I am continually impressed by the way Calkins, Eherenworth, and Lehman make this complex topic accessible and real for me as an educator.


I also began reading Book 3 in the First Kids Mysteries: The Case of the Ruby Slippers by Martha Freeman.  So far, it is a compelling middle-grade story.


Happy Reading, everyone!  Please share your weekly update in comments below.  Also, we are curious- what is your #bookgapchallenge?

1 comment:

  1. I've heard similar things from others about Code Name Verity, though I still want to read it! Lots of people say it is slow at the start but then picks up. I rarely set aside a book without finishing it, but I did last summer!

    I love your boys' writing their own updates! Nice job, guys. I have heard lots of good things about the CHERUB series but haven't read it myself yet. And, of course, Lord of the Rings is classic! My 15-yr old son has watched all 3 movies dozens of times - I wish I could convince him to read the books!

    You can see what my boys and I are reading at either of my blogs.

    Sue

    Book By Book

    Great Books for Kids and Teens

    ReplyDelete

The Boys LOVE to receive positive words of encouragement as well as book recommendations from you! Please take a minute to leave a happy comment. Registering through OpenID is quick and easy~ we can't wait to hear what you think!