Monday, January 28, 2013

It's an Award-Winning Monday! What Are You Reading?




Today the Boys and I are linking up to a meme hosted by Shelia at Book Journey as well as Jen and Kellee at Teach Mentor Texts.  It's called: It's Monday!  What Are You Reading?  Check out both of their blogs for many, many, more wonderful book recommendations and links to others who are doing the same.

Today is a special day, as the American Library Association announced their 2013 youth award-winners!  So exciting, especially because we have read many of them.  Congratulations to all who won awards and honors today!  

On to our updates!

 Hey this is C.J.!   I no funny, and this... is book report time. Now I am reading two books at once (Bedtime and daytime) and enjoying both books. I Funny is a story about a kid named Jamie Grimm who is a hilarious comedian that tries to become the world's greatest stand up comedian. He lives with his aunt, uncle, and cousins (one of which is evil and makes fun of Jamie because he is in a wheelchair). Now in Fellowship, Frodo and company are currently at a farm with one of Pippin's friends for a sort of pit stop I guess you could call it. And they are still being hunted by the black rider. (Cue dramatic music)...


P.J.'s update:
I have finished the book Cherub: The Recruit by Robert Muchamore, and I thought it was a great book with lots of twists and surprises.  I am now reading the first book in The Cloak Society by Jeramey Kraatz and I like it so far.






Mom's update:

"I have told the truth."

When I began reading Code Name Verity, I did not know what to expect.  Raw and cold, the story begins as a narrative written by a female enemy agent (spy) caught by the Nazis during WWII.  It was difficult for me to connect with this character at first, and when I was a third of the way through, I considered abandoning it.  I am very glad I didn't, though, because quickly the pieces came together, and by the time I was halfway in, I was fully engaged.  I read the second half of the book in one afternoon, and I was sad when it ended.  It is one of those rare books that nagged me to start over and re-read it immediately with my newfound understanding from an alternate perspective.  Its Prinz honor (received today- yay!) is absolutely deserved.


I am currently on Chapter 6 of Pathways.  Writing!  Yay!


Now, on to an Alex Award book!  I am starting this one tonight:


Happy ALA 2013 Awards Monday!  What are YOU reading?

4 comments:

  1. I can't wait to read Code Name Verity! And Pathways to the CC is one I keep rereading. It feels like she is talking to me! Happy reading!
    Jennifer Kloczko
    Cameron Park, CA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will warn you that Verity appears to initially be a rambling narrative with disconnected monologue in present tense, which I found to be initially off-putting. However, if you stick with it, the voice changes to another character, and the pieces all come together at once. The structure of the text is definitely challenging, but it is worth it in the end. And you will cry... (which is my barometer for a good book!)

      Delete
  2. I definitely want to try Code Name Verity - everyone keeps raving about it! I hope PJ enjoys Cloak Society! My older son and I both loved it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is P.J. thanks for the comment. So far I am at the paint were the heroes are just being introduced, and it is really good so far. I think it's cool that it's showing the fight from the villan's viewpoint.

      Delete

The Boys LOVE to receive positive words of encouragement as well as book recommendations from you! Please take a minute to leave a happy comment. Registering through OpenID is quick and easy~ we can't wait to hear what you think!