Monday, November 26, 2012

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? 11/26/12




Today the Boys and I are linking up to a meme hosted by Shelia at Book Journey as well as Jen and Kellee at Teach Mentor Texts.  It's called: It's Monday!  What Are You Reading?  Check out both of their blogs for many, many, more wonderful book recommendations and links to others who are doing the same!
Rock on!


Our rating system, as written by P.J.:  
  • For every "rock" it means something different, like 1 rock is not very good, 2 rocks is OK, 3 rocks is good, 4 rocks is great, and 5 rocks is amazing! Well now that I got you up to speed, let's get into these book reviews.





Hello!  This is C.J.- 60% of the time, this is book report time... all the time.

Title: Harry Potter and the Order of the Pheonix
Author:  J. K. Rowling
Right-now Review: I am currently reading Harry Potter and the Order of the Pheonix, so far it is bombastic. I haven't finished it yet, but so far, this is what's happening: Harry, Ron, and Hermoine have created the D.A. ( Dumbledore's Army) and are teaching people how to defend themselves from Voldemort and his followers. I have seen the movie before, and I believe that the movie is very accurate to the book. The movie picked up most of the details of the book. Like when Harry saw how Mr.Weasley was attacked by the snake, Harry was in the perspective of the snake just like in the book.
Recommended ages: 10-70
Rock Rating (So far): 4-5


Hey, this is P.J., and I'm reading Insignia.

Title:  Insignia
Author:  S. J. Kincaid
Review (so far!): I think that this book is very good and I love how the main character has developed over time as a person that I would want to be friends with.  What I mean is that he is the kind of person who sticks up for what he believes in and won't back down when the odds are against him. This book is about a boy named Tom Raines whose dad is addicted to gambling and his mom is married to a man who is a recruter from one of the richest companies in the world. This book takes place during World War III, but it is not fought on earth.  This war is over precious minerals on other planets, and Tom gets drafted to be a combatant, the people who fight the war. The rest you will just have to read for yourself.
Recommended for:  People who like adventure, action, and people who like video games.
Rock rating: 5/5


Mom's update:
I have recently read:
Eye of the Storm by Kate Messner

Insignia by S.J. Kincaid

I am currently reading:
(for my students)


Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy
(for my own enjoyment)

Pathways to the Common Core by Calkins, Ehrenworth, and Lehman
(for my professional development)




Coming up soon: The 25 Days of Book-mas!  

Both C.J. and P.J. will choose 1 book each day in December up to the 25 that they would recommend  for kids their age (11-15) to read (and Moms and Dads and Santa too!)  Stay tuned for the Book-mas AWESOME-NESS!! 

3 comments:

  1. I think it is so cool to hear that PJ loved Insignia. I read it with Kathy and we were curious to find out how kids would react to the story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey this is P.J. Thanks for commenting on our blog. It's cool to hear that you read the book too. The best thing about this book in my opinion, is that it is such a cool idea that war can take place in outer space and no lives can be lost from it. It makes me wonder if like, in the book, big companies basically rule the world and control everything. I will look forward to reading your review of the book too!

      Delete
  2. Lots of great reading at your house! Harry Potter books are favorites with my girls, 8 and 11. I really liked Eye of the Storm, and loved it's blend of science and mystery/suspense. It's been a few years, but Anna Karenina was a favorite, too. Are you planning on the movie? Sad to see mixed reviews for it. And I just love the cover for Horten's Miraculous Mechanisms . . . it invokes Benedict Society for Me for some reason! Thanks for sharing your titles!

    ReplyDelete

The Boys LOVE to receive positive words of encouragement as well as book recommendations from you! Please take a minute to leave a happy comment. Registering through OpenID is quick and easy~ we can't wait to hear what you think!