Sunday, October 28, 2012

Hurricane Edition! It's Monday! What Are You Reading 10/29


Due to the likelihood of a power outage tomorrow, we are posting a day early...  

It's (almost) Monday!  What Are You Reading?





**Hurricane Sandy is fast approaching...  School has already been canceled for TWO whole DAYS!!!  We are likely to lose power, and the Boys are frantically playing as much Minecraft as possible before that happens.  While they may be feeling a last-minute game panic, Mom is looking forward to two days of luxurious, screen-free reading time.  Once they get over post-traumatic electronic loss disorder, Mom thinks the Boys will enjoy it too...

As always, the Boys and I love linking up to this meme hosted by Shelia at Book Journey as well as Jen and Kellee at Teach Mentor Texts.  It's called: It's Monday!  What Are You Reading?  Check out both of their blogs for many, many, more wonderful book recommendations and links to others who are doing the same!
Rock on!


Our rating system, as written by P.J.:  
  • For every "rock" it means something different, like 1 rock is not very good, 2 rocks is OK, 3 rocks is good, 4 rocks is great, and 5 rocks is amazing! Well now that I got you up to speed, let's get into these book reviews.







Hello this is C.J.  Lasagna is delicious, and this... is book report time.

Title:  Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Author: J.K. Rowling
Goodreads summary:  The summer holidays are dragging on and Harry Potter can't wait for the start of the school year. It is his fourth year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, and there are spells to be learnt, potions to be brewed and Divination lessons (sigh) to be attended. Harry is expecting these: however, other quite unexpected events are already on the march ...
What I think:  I think this was a good book.  Harry was put into the tri-wizard tournament (unwillingly) and has to do a series of tasks to win. But something is waiting for him after the 3rd and final task.  So far I am really enjoying the Harry Potter series. It is amazing.
Recommended for:ages 9-60

Rock Rating:4/5
Of course, C.J. is now reading this:













Hey, this is P.J., and this is my review:

Title:  And Then There Were None
Author:  Agatha Christie
Goodreads summary:  First, there were ten - a curious assortment of strangers summoned as weekend guests to a private island off the coast of Devon. Their host, an eccentric millionaire unknown to all of them, is nowhere to be found. All that the guests have in common is a wicked past they're unwilling to reveal - and a secret that will seal their fate. For each has been marked for murder. One by one they fall prey. Before the weekend is out, there will be none. And only the dead are above suspicion.
What I think:  I think that this was a good book. I like how the author used a type of writing style that left you on the edge of your seat wanting more. I also think that the plot was very well thought out and very well played. I had no Idea who the murderer was until the book told me (no spoilers). Overall I believe that this was one of the best books I have ever read and I strongly believe that you will think so too. 
Recommended for: ages 13-72

Rock Rating: 5/5 :)

By the way, the next book I am reading is The Mark Of Athena by Rick Riordan.
(Mom's note:  This book was a gift from C.J.  He spotted it at the book fair and purchased it for his brother, because he knew he would love the latest in the series.  Mom almost burst with joy when she witnessed the exchange.)



Mom just finished reading this lovely book by Sharon Creech:



With our impending storm, this is the book Mom is reading next:


Eye of the Storm by Kate Messner

Finally, here is C.J. and Mom's new read-aloud book.  It's very funny, and loaded with short stories perfect for bedtime by many of C.J.'s favorite authors.


Guys Write For Guys Read edited by Jon Scieszka

Happy Hurricane Reading, everyone!  Stay safe, dry, and snuggled up with a great book!

Mom and the Boys :)

6 comments:

  1. I liked Eye of the Storm a lot. A little scary perhaps with real storms looming so large. Oh. . . And then there were none . . . I remember this was a play when I was in high school at my school. I had already read the book then and agree, wow! Just fantastic. I might reread it one day soon - at least before I reach the ripe old age of 72 :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just recently read Ten by Gretchen O'Neil, a retelling of Then There Were None. It was really good! Here is what I am working on this week http://wp.me/pzUn5-1he

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Guys Read series is great! I love hearing from author guys. I've read the first book and have seen the others on the shelves. (I think there is a new sports one.) You've reminded me to check them out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE the Rock Rating System. LOVE IT. I do not even know why but I end up saying Rock On a fair amount at school. I may have to sort of swipe your idea. With credit, of course. ;]
    Guys Read is pretty awesome. My favorite is the Funny Business story about the science project. Oh, and the beginnings of Artemis Fowl.
    Kate Messner visited our school on 10/2. We've been thinking about her and wondering if this storm might inspire some writing.
    Stay warm and dry!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the great reviews! If you like Agatha Christie, you might check out some of Dorothy Sayers Lord Peter books. They are similar in some ways, and my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the fact that he read the Agatha Christie! I went through a phase where I read almost everything she'd written. I was in the play in high school too! (Vera!)

    ReplyDelete

The Boys LOVE to receive positive words of encouragement as well as book recommendations from you! Please take a minute to leave a happy comment. Registering through OpenID is quick and easy~ we can't wait to hear what you think!