Monday, September 10, 2012

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? 9/10

Today the Boys and I are linking up to a meme hosted by Shelia at Book Journey as well as Jen and Kellee at Teach Mentor Texts.  It's called: It's Monday!  What Are You Reading?  Check out both of their blogs for many, many, more wonderful book recommendations and links to others who are doing the same!

This week, we began our first week of school!  Therefore, this week is also the commencement of the crazy after-school schedules of homework, soccer, drum lessons, karate practice, orthodontist appointments, and eventually orchestra rehearsals.   And we are also reading???


Yes!

We set a page goal and designated reading time for each day, so that we can continue our reading through the school year.  We are also bringing our books with us EVERYWHERE, because those minutes while waiting for Coach to arrive at practice (or the doctor to see us, or rehearsal to start...) are precious reading minutes.  We also always read before we go to sleep at night, heading up at least 30 minutes before bedtime to allow for tooth brushing and a chapter or two.
So, although the Boys didn't finish an entire book this week, they have been reading.  Mom was able to squeak in one book (far from her summer reading pace), but her goal is one a week, so she is happy!

Here are our reading logs for the week:

Our rating system, as written by P.J.:  
  • For every "rock" it means something different, like 1 rock is not very good, 2 rocks is OK, 3 rocks is good, 4 rocks is great, and 5 rocks is amazing! Well now that I got you up to speed, let's get into these book reviews.


After starting to Chapter 1, C.J. realized that he had already read Schooled by Gordon Korman, so he switched to Maxx Comedy by the same author, Gordon Korman.


This is C.J if I ever see a man in a metal suit walking by I'll say "Hey the Tin Man called, he needs his nose back" and this... is book report time. 

I am reading Maxx Comedy by Gordan Korman. It is funny at parts, but "eh" at others. It is about a kid named Max Cormandy who's dream is to be a standup comedian on a T.V show.   So he enters a contest and has to do a 3 minute video of him making jokes so he can win 3000 dollars and be a special guest on a T.V. show. That is how far I got. So far I am enjoying the book. My prediction for this good book is that Max will win because, well in a book was there ever a main character who didn't win anything?



Hey this is P.J. and this is my Monday update. I have been reading the book The Thief Lord by Cornelia Funke. I am at the part when the gang is about to meet the man with a job for Scipio, but the detective is about to try and get Prosper and Bo to return to his aunt. Some of my goals for this year reading wise is to try and read some mystery novels. I think that I am going to find spare time to read when I don't have any after school activities.  I am going to read a lot. That was my Monday Update with P.J.   





This week, Mom read Ruby Holler by Sharon Creech.  (Click on the book title for rating and review on Goodreads.)


C.J. and I are slowly making our way through The Fellowship of the Ring as our read-aloud.  We are both guilty of falling asleep while reading our own books, so we haven't made much progress this week.  We should build up our stamina as we adjust to our school schedules!


What's next?
Mom is planning to read this one this week (Paranormal YA!  Yay!):



Happy Reading!!

3 comments:

  1. So, C.J. I'm wondering if a book is less intriguing when you know the character wins something, no matter what? You have me thinking...thinking about finding a book where the character does not win in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And for you P.J. - I admire your goal! That book has been on and off my shelf for several years with only half-hearted interest. I'm looking forward to reading the rest of your review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I only know about Gordon Korman through The 39 clues, haven't checked out his other 'independent' titles as yet. Glad to see that you seem to be enjoying it. I also have a copy of The Thief Lord but haven't gotten around to reading it yet. The Necromancer book also caught my eye, looks intriguing! Have a great week ahead!

    ReplyDelete

The Boys LOVE to receive positive words of encouragement as well as book recommendations from you! Please take a minute to leave a happy comment. Registering through OpenID is quick and easy~ we can't wait to hear what you think!