Monday, September 3, 2012

It's Labor Day Monday! What Are You Reading? 9/3

Today the Boys and I are linking up to a meme hosted by Shelia at Book Journey as well as Jen and Kellee at Teach Mentor Texts.  It's called: It's Monday!  What Are You Reading?  Check out both of their blogs for many, many, more wonderful book recommendations and links to others who are doing the same!

It is official... Today is the LAST DAY OF SUMMER.  <tears welling in our eyes>

Yesterday, the Boys and Mom discussed our summer reading blog and its destiny. Should we stop, now that summer has officially ended?  Are the Boys finished, tired of books and blogs and nagging Moms?

To Mom's great surprise and glee, the Boys said, "NO!"  They LIKE blogging about their reading.  


What is that again?

The boys

LIKE

blogging about their READING?




The Boys

think it is COOL

to recommend books to their friends?




Yes, yes, YES!!!


We want to continue with our reading and book recommendations throughout the school year.  


Mom's wildest dream has come true.  



Yes.

The Boys want to carry on.  So, here we go....  

Carry on, Boys!

Here is our rating system, as written by P.J.:  
  • For every "rock" it means something different, like 1 rock is not very good, 2 rocks is ok, 3 rocks is good, 4 rocks is great, and 5 rocks is amazing! Well now that I got you up to speed, let's get into these book reviews.


This week, C.J. read:

Title: No More Dead Dogs
Author: Gordon Korman

Goodreads Summary:  Here's one for every reader weary of being assigned novels in which the dog dies. For expressing his true views of "Old Shep, My Pal, " eighth-grade football hero Wallace Wallace earns a detention that takes him off the team and plunks him in the auditorium, where his English teacher is directing a theatrical version of "Old Shep, My Pal."

What I think:I think that No More Dead Dogs was a awesome book! It was basically about a football player that has to do a report about a book called "Old Shep My Pal." He refuses to because the dog dies. Wallace (He's the guy who did the report) then has to go to detention at the auditorium where the drama club is doing a play about that book. Later Wallace helps out with it and quits the football team to make the play "better". But there is someone trying to ruin the play! Who could it be? Could it be someone on the football team? Could it be someone from the Drama club? You need to find out for yourselves.
Recommended for:Ages 11-15
Rock Rating:5/5

What I am reading next:
Schooled by Gordon Korman


Hey this P.J. and I am going to read the book The Thief Lord.

Title: The Thief Lord
Author: Cornelia Funke
Goodreads Summary:  Welcome to the magical underworld of Venice, Italy. Here, hidden canals and crumbling rooftops shelters runaways and children with incredible secrets....
After escaping from their cruel aunt and uncle, orphans Prosper and Bo meet a mysterious boy who calls himself the "Thief Lord." Clever and charming, The Thief Lord leads a band of street children who enjoy making mischief. But the Thief Lord also has a dark secret. And suddenly Prosper and Bo find themselves on a fantastical journey to a forgotten place. What they discover there will change the course of their destiny... forever.

Why I chose this book: I picked this book because I loved the movie and I love thief stories. I am looking forward to seeing how the movie is different from the book, and how they incorporated the stuff from the book into the movie.

Mom's books for this week:

About Average by Andrew Clements


C.J. and Mom are also still reading aloud:


It's getting exciting!  Frodo and Gandalf just discovered that Bilbo's ring is the "One Ring to Rule them All!!"


Mom has just begun reading:
Ruby Holler by Sharon Creech

Happy School Year to everyone, and Keep Reading!!

10 comments:

  1. I think it's my first time to visit your blog and I am so glad I did. What a wonderful project with your two boys! And I'm happy to see that they're committed to maintaining their book blog. There are so many lovely familiar titles here, but a few new ones as well, such as Ruby Holler by Sharon Creech, No More Dead Dogs, and About Average! Will look out for those titles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome! We hope you will be a regular visitor in the future. I am beyond excited that we will continue with our reading blog. It has been an adventure, and I am looking forward to seeing where it takes us.

      Delete
  2. This is my first visit to your blog as well! I love this shared project of sharing your reading as a family. Lots of good books on deck for you all.

    Lorna (Not For Lunch)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome, Lorna! This summer has been a learning one for all of us. I'm thrilled that the boys want to continue reading together. Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

      Delete
  3. So wonderful that your boys have caught onto your passion! Mission accomplished!

    And I also really enjoyed The Thief Lord. Lots of secrets in that book!

    Maria @novalibrarymom.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay!!!!! I was truly surprised when they said that they wanted to continue. Happy, but surprised. Mission accomplished, indeed!!

      Delete
  4. Is that a new Clements book? Very excited! Glad your boys love reading as much as you! The Thief Lord is one of my all-time favorites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Almost Average was published this year. I haven't had a chance to write up a review on Goodreads yet, but I enjoyed it. I have read mixed reviews, but I think it is a great read for a female reluctant reader in grades 4-6. It is an empowering story for all who feel like they are in the middle.
      I'll share your rave review of the Thief Lord with P.J. Thanks for stopping by our blog today!

      Delete
  5. Your boys should read David Walliams, have they read Wonder?
    Anyways I would love you to come and link up in the UK with my Book reviews for mums kid lit linky and share your recommendations. Our link up party ios open all September.

    Peace, Becky @ http://bookreviewsformums.co.uk/2012/09/kid-lit-linky-september/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Becky! Thank you for the invitation! We have linked up, and we are looking forward to reading other Mom and Kid book blogs!
      C.J. read Wonder before we began our blog, and he enjoyed it. I love it as well! I've recommended it to other students and teachers at my school, too.
      We are not familiar with David Walliams~ Gansta Granny looks right up C.J.'s alley! Thanks for the recommendation!!

      Delete

The Boys LOVE to receive positive words of encouragement as well as book recommendations from you! Please take a minute to leave a happy comment. Registering through OpenID is quick and easy~ we can't wait to hear what you think!