Monday, August 27, 2012

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?



Today the Boys and I are linking up to a meme hosted by Shelia at Book Journey as well as Jen and Kellee at Teach Mentor Texts.  It's called: It's Monday!  What Are You Reading?  Check out both of their blogs for many, many, more wonderful book recommendations!

Today we have a few books to review, but dear readers, we must admit that our reading rate has slowed down a bit as we gear up for Back to SCHOOL.  <groans from the Boys>  Our reading time has been preempted by trips to office supply stores, shoe stores, clothing stores, and hair salons.  Plus, Mom has been moving her classroom this week, and it was a BIG job.  (She has TONS of books!)   So, despite her ever-present desire to read books, she was MOVING them instead...

On to the book reviews!

Here is our rating system, as written by P.J.:  
  • For every "rock" it means something different, like 1 rock is not very good, 2 rocks is ok, 3 rocks is good, 4 rocks is great, and 5 rocks is amazing! Well now that I got you up to speed, let's get into these book reviews.

Hey this is P.J.!

Title:  Freak the Mighty
Author: Rodman Philbrick

Goodreads Summary: Two boys – a slow learner stuck in the body of a teenage giant and a tiny Einstein in leg braces – forge a unique friendship when they pair up to create one formidable human force.

What I think: I think that this was a good book.  It was one of those books that you don't think is capturing your interest, but you can't put it down. I thought that the main character wasn't somebody you could relate to, but you just felt like you knew him through the whole book. I chose this book because it could be read for my summer assignment under the category "Acceptance." I think it could go under that category because Max's school has to accept Freak the Mighty as one person.

Recommended for: Ages 11-15

Rock Rating:     4.5/ 5


This is C.J.!  Chuck Norris once cliff dived without a parachute, but never did it again because the world doesn't need another Grand Canyon... and this is book report time.
Title: No More Dead Dogs
Author: Gordon Korman

Goodreads Summary:  Here's one for every reader weary of being assigned novels in which the dog dies. For expressing his true views of "Old Shep, My Pal, " eighth-grade football hero Wallace Wallace earns a detention that takes him off the team and plunks him in the auditorium, where his English teacher is directing a theatrical version of "Old Shep, My Pal."

What I think: I haven't finished the book, yet but it's so good right now! Best book ever! The book is about a football jock named Wallace Wallace (both first name and last name same? kinda weird) who won't write a book report on a book called "Old Shep My Pal" (that book's about a dog who dies) and has to do detention at the auditorium where the drama club is doing a play about it. Later, Wallace starts tampering with the play making it "better."  I'm predicting that Wallace will quit football and join drama. Stay tuned for Part 2 of the No More Dead Dogs premere next week.


This week, Mom only read ONE book.  Click on the title to see the rating on Goodreads.  Here it is!  


Olivia Bean, Trivia Queen by Donna Gephart


Mom and C.J. also began a new read-aloud:


The Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R. Tolkien

(This one is going to take a while...)

Happy Reading, and Happy Back to School, everyone!!


1 comment:

  1. I like both Freak and Mighty and No More Dead Dogs. No More Dead Dogs might be my favorite Gordon Korman book. I have seen him speak twice and he's great. He is a pretty cool dude. When I was in 5th grade, I read The Hobbit with my class but I never read any of the Lord of the Rings trilogy afterwards. Bilbo is pretty cool, though. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete

The Boys LOVE to receive positive words of encouragement as well as book recommendations from you! Please take a minute to leave a happy comment. Registering through OpenID is quick and easy~ we can't wait to hear what you think!