Monday, August 6, 2012

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? 8/6/12


Today the Boys and I are linking up to a meme hosted by Shelia at Book Journey as well as Jen and Kellee at Teach Mentor Texts.  It's called: It's Monday!  What Are You Reading?  Check out both of their blogs for many, many, more wonderful book recommendations!

The boys are really rockin' this week with their reading!  They each have at least one book to review today.  Here is their system, as written by P.J.:  
For every "rock" it means something different, like 1 rock is not very good, 2 rocks is ok, 3 rocks is good, 4 rocks is great, and 5 rocks is amazing! Well now that I got you up to speed, let's get into these book reviews.

Hello this is C.J!  Big powdered wigs look funny, and this is book report time.

Title: Horton Halfpott: Or, the Fiendish Mystery of Smugwick Manor; or, The Loosening of M'Lady Luggertuck's Corset

Author:  Tom Angleberger

Goodreads* summary:  "Tom Angleberger's latest, loopiest middle-grade novel begins when M'Lady Luggertuck loosens her corset (it's never been loosened before!), thereby setting off a chain of events in which all the strict rules of Smugwick Manor are abandoned. When, as a result of "the Loosening," the precious family heirloom, the Luggertuck Lump (quite literally a lump), goes missing, the Luggertucks look for someone to blame. Is it Horton Halfpott, the good-natured but lowly kitchen boy who can't tell a lie? Or one of the many colorful cast members in this silly romp of a mystery."

What I think:  I think it was a pretty good book. It was about a kitchen boy named Horton Halfpot who gets involved in a mystery with his friends (Blight, Blemish, and Bump) and has to find out who stole M'Lady Luggertucks lump!  My mom read this book aloud to me because it helped me understand the book a lot more than me just reading it silently You need  to read the book to find out what else happens.
If you are around the age of 11- 14, then you'll like this book!



Rock Rating:4/5
Great!





By the way, Tom Angleberger's book, The Secret of the Fortune Wookiee comes out TOMORROW!  I am extremely looking forward to Fortune Wookiee by Tom Angleberger because I read the other two books in that series, The Strange Case of Origami Yoda and Darth Paper Strikes Back and they were AMAZE-TACULAR!  (That is a word that I just copyrighted.  All right.)












The Force is strong with these books.











Hey this is P.J. and this is my review. 


Title: Dreadnought (H.I.V.E. #4)

Author: Mark Walden

Goodreads** Summary: "Otto is on the run from US security forces - the least of his problems in a desperate race to rescue his kidnapped friends and thwart a supremely dangerous renegade faction of the world's most powerful villains."

What I think: I thought it was a good book and it made you feel like you were part of the story. This book was the fourth book in the H.I.V.E. series and I think that I will take a break before reading the last book because this book just felt a little stale.  That is probably because I have read all of the books in a row, so I think I will read some other books for now. I will definitely come back to the H.I.V.E. series, though.  If you liked this book I think you would also like the Harry Potter series and the Percy Jackson series.



I give this book 4/5 rocks.
Great!

Finally, here are Mom's books for this week.  You can read my reviews by clicking on the book titles to link to Goodreads.

For younger readers:

Gooney Bird Greene by Lois Lowry


Babymouse: Rock Star by Jennifer L. Holm & Matthew Holm


Babymouse: The Musical by Jennifer L. Holm & Matthew Holm


Dog Days by David Lubar


For more mature readers:

The Lions of Little Rock by Kristin Levine



The Pull of Gravity by Gae Polisner


GO #TEAMTEACHER !!



Her
*"Horton Halfpott: Or, The Fiendish Mystery of Smugwick Manor; Or, The Loosening of M'Lady Luggertuck's Corset." Goodreads. N.p., n.d. Web. 06 Aug. 2012. <http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/9470915-horton-halfpott>.

**"Dreadnought (H.I.V.E. #4)." Goodreads. N.p., n.d. Web. 06 Aug. 2012. <http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6275767-dreadnought>.

2 comments:

  1. I agree that the Origami Yoda series is Amaze-tacular (I like that word!). I, too, look forward to Wookie.
    I really need to read a HIVE book. It is good to hear that the series is good.
    And YAY Babymouse!

    Happy reading this week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, The Lions of Little Rock! I so enjoyed that book. Great example of historical fiction.

    Maria @novalibrarymom.com

    ReplyDelete

The Boys LOVE to receive positive words of encouragement as well as book recommendations from you! Please take a minute to leave a happy comment. Registering through OpenID is quick and easy~ we can't wait to hear what you think!