Monday, July 16, 2012

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?


Today the Boys and I are linking up to a meme hosted by Shelia at Book Journey as well as Jen and Kellee at Teach Mentor Texts.  It's called: It's Monday!  What Are You Reading?  Check out both of their blogs for many, many, more wonderful book recommendations!

This was another busy summer week at our house, but here are the Boys' reviews:

Hello this is C.J.  Cows are awesome and this is book report time. Today I am rock rating the book Lunch Lady.  For every "rock" it means something different, like 1 rock is not very good, 2 rocks is ok, 3 rocks is good, 4 rocks is great, and 5 rocks is amazing! Well now that I got you up to speed, let's get into this book review.

Cue in narrarator voice!  (Dun dun dun!)

Title: Lunch Lady and the Bake Sale Bandit
Author: Jarrett J. Krosoczka
Goodreads summary: The Breakfast Bunch is excited for the upcoming bake sale—and the best part is that it's raising money for an awesome field trip.  But when all the snacks go missing, it's no laughing matter.  Someone is sabotaging the bake sale.  But why?
Lunch Lady and the Breakfast Bunch are hot on the trail . . . one brownie crumb at a time.
Un-cue narrarator voice!

What I think:  It was a decent book. Not too good but, good. It had random stuff happening here and there.  I mean a lunch lady superhero?  Really?!

Re-cue narrator voice!

I recommend this to grades 3-5. You would also like this book if you like Captain Underpants by Dav Pilkey or My Weird School Daze series books by Dan Gutman. And yes, it's spelled Daze.


Rock rating: 2/5




Hey this is P.J. and this is my blog!  I am reading the book Escape Velocity by Mark Walden, and it is still good. They finally found out where Nero is being held captive, and the book confirmed that number 1 is the leader of H.O.P.E  (before that it was just what the characters thought). The Contesta is losing control of the school, after she turned H.I.V.E. mind off, it has been hectic in the school. This has been my short update on what I have been reading.  I hope you enjoyed, and peace out!







Mom update:  
This week, I read (click on the titles to read my reviews on Goodreads):

Capture the Flag by Kate Messner










and
This   Small Medium at Large by Joanne Levy












I am currently halfway through Dead End in Norvelt by Jack Gantos, and C.J. and I are 28% of the way through Horton Halfpott: or, The Fiendish Mystery of Smugwick Manor; or, The Loosening of M'Lady Luggertuck's Corset by Tom Angleberger.  We are reading Angleberger's book aloud, and it is a hoot! :)

Stay tuned for more Mom2Boys posts coming up, and please feel free to add comments below.  The Boys love to hear your feedback and book recommendations!


"Lunch Lady and the Bake Sale Bandit (Lunch Lady #5)." Goodreads. N.p., n.d. Web. 16 July 2012. <http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/8148668-lunch-lady-and-the-bake-sale-bandit>.

6 comments:

  1. I'm glad you enjoyed Capture the Flag -- my son couldn't put it down when he read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. C.J. started reading CTF yesterday, and he is already halfway through! Yes, it is a winner. :) We are glad you found our blog, and thanks for leaving a comment.

      Delete
  2. Hi everyone! I love that mom and kids are blogging together! My kids are 2 and 5 but this would be fun to try with my 5 year old for sure. I love Lunch Lady. I got to meet Jarrett Krosoczka a few months ago at a conference and he is really cool. He's a super nice guy. I haven't read Escape Velocity but the cover looks awesome. Capture the Flag is one of my summer favorites, too. Happy reading everyone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this has been a fun summer adventure! I personally love Lunch Lady, too, but I think C.J. is at that stage where he might be worried that GNs are too "babyish" for him. I totally disagree, but he has a right to have his own opinions! We Moms have to pick our battles sometimes...

      Delete
  3. Capture the Flag is on my list for today! My sons both adore the Lunch Lady series.

    Horton Halfpott completely cracked me up. I adore Tom Angleberger... major fan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How did you like CTF? C.J. loves it. Yay! Yes, we are big Tom Angleberger fans here too. We both were wholeheartedly belly laughing as I read it aloud last night. (Maybe not the best choice for winding down before bed?? Nah!!) Thanks for visiting us and commenting!!

      Delete

The Boys LOVE to receive positive words of encouragement as well as book recommendations from you! Please take a minute to leave a happy comment. Registering through OpenID is quick and easy~ we can't wait to hear what you think!