Monday, July 23, 2012

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?


Today the Boys and I are linking up to a meme hosted by Shelia at Book Journey as well as Jen and Kellee at Teach Mentor Texts.  It's called: It's Monday!  What Are You Reading?  Check out both of their blogs for many, many, more wonderful book recommendations!

The boys have a couple of books to Rock Rate this week, and here's how the rating works (as written by P.J.):  For every "rock" it means something different, like 1 rock is not very good, 2 rocks is ok, 3 rocks is good, 4 rocks is great, and 5 rocks is amazing! Well now that I got you up to speed, let's get into these book reviews.



Hey this is C.J.  It's as sunny as a rainy day, and this is book report time.

Title: Capture the Flag
Author: Kate Messner

Goodreads* summary: 
"Three kids get caught up in an adventure of historic proportions!

Anna, José, and Henry are complete strangers with more in common than they realize. Snowed in together at a chaotic Washington D.C. airport, they encounter a mysterious tattooed man, a flamboyant politician, and a rambunctious poodle named for an ancient king. Even stranger, news stations everywhere have announced that the famous flag that inspired "The Star-Spangled Banner" has been stolen! Anna, certain that the culprits must be snowed in too, recruits Henry and José to help catch the thieves and bring them to justice.

But when accusations start flying, they soon realize there's more than justice at stake. As the snow starts clearing, Anna, José, and Henry find themselves in a race against time (and the weather!) to prevent the loss of an American treasure."

What I think:  I personally think this is the greatest book evah! It's in the adventure genre so if you like adventure books this book is for you!  This book has some questioning parts in it.  But I won't say anything about those parts, because it would ruin the book.  Those parts made me ask questions about who the culprit was, and it kept me interested until the end.  I strongly recommend this book to everybody!




Rock Rating: 5

 out of 5!


Hey this is P.J., and this is my blog!

Title: Escape Velocity
Author: Mark Walden

Goodreads summary:
"Students and staff at H.I.V.E.—the Higher Institute of Villainous Education—are horrified to discover that Dr. Nero has been captured by the forces of H.O.P.E.—the Hostile Operative Prosecution Executive—the world’s newest and most ruthlessly efficient security force. Otto decides that the only way to find Nero and the truth behind the lies is to escape H.I.V.E. But he’s also struggling with some newfound abilities: Can he really unconsciously interface with computers without physical contact? And if he can, what exactly do his new powers mean? In his search for answers, Otto must flee H.I.V.E., and take the risks that come with being a rogue agent. Then he just has to break into MI6….."

What I think: I think this was a great book.  It always left you reading for more.  The only bad thing about this book I would say is that if I didn't know there were more books in the series, I would think that this was the last book.  Overall it was great.  I love the way that Mark Walden showed how elaborate Overlord's plan was, and it almost seemed flawless.  I am definitely going to read the rest of the books, and I am sure that I am going to love them all!  I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys mystery and adventure novels in grades 5 through 8.




Rock Rating: 
5 out of 5


Here is what Mom read this week:
Marty McGuire by Kate Messner

You can read my review on Goodreads here.


Dead End in Norvelt by Jack Gantos
Read my review on Goodreads here.









I'm also very close to finishing Real Revision by Kate Messner.  I am absolutely eating this one up.  It is a fantastic resource for all teachers of writing.  Look for my review of this book, as well as The Hero's Guide to Saving Your Kingdom by Christoper Healy, Horton Halfpott by Tom Angleberger, How to Grow Up and Rule the World by Vordak the Incomprehensible by Scott Seegert, and more next week! 


"Capture the Flag." Goodreads. N.p., n.d. Web. 23 July 2012. <http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/12975886-capture-the-flag>.


"Escape Velocity (H.I.V.E. #3)." Goodreads. N.p., n.d. Web. 23 July 2012. <http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/4617762-escape-velocity>.

8 comments:

  1. I loved Capture the Flag - and I can't wait to share it with my students in the fall. I haven't read Escape Velocity, but it looks intriguing.

    Kate Messner is awesome. I haven't read the first Marty, but I loved Digs Worms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If C.J. is any indicator, I think many, many kids will love CTF, too. I'm so glad it's a series book!!

      Delete
  2. Capture the Flag was great! I'm glad you liked HIVE, am going to add it to my TBR for sure. I love both of the Marty books! I'm excited to read Real Revisions after 10 Things Every Writer Needs to Know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I need to read 10 Things Every Writer Needs to Know! Looking forward to reading your review.

      Delete
  3. Check out NPR's list for voting for the best 100 books in YA literature

    http://www.npr.org/2012/07/24/157072526/best-ever-teen-novels-vote-for-your-favorites

    Have you read any Allan Wolf's books? His latest is THE WATCH THAT ENDS THE NIGHT:VOICES FROM THE TITANIC. He sits on the VA Tech English Department board with me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sandy! No, we haven't read any of Allan Wolf's books. I think P.J. would especially love that one!

      Delete
  4. I'm sensing a Messner theme to your week ;)

    I also love, love, love Hero's Guide. I wish I were still in the classroom to share it. Such a funny, witty book!

    Maria @novalibrarymom.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's actually been a Kate Messner kind of summer! :) I just finished reading The Brilliant Fall of Gianna Z., and I loved it, too! Up next: Sugar and Ice!

      Delete

The Boys LOVE to receive positive words of encouragement as well as book recommendations from you! Please take a minute to leave a happy comment. Registering through OpenID is quick and easy~ we can't wait to hear what you think!